Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I've Been Everywhere.........Man...... Sing It Johnny!




OK........so here's the deal..........do you ever have the notion to create a work of art to be displayed in an odd, or unconventional place, like the door above, done for Halloween? I mean shouldn't art be displayed everywhere.........even in unexpected places? At one time or another we all talk about where we were when we saw, or experienced this or that. It's odd how certain things in our minds stand out, some significant, some not. We can recall where we were, what we were thinking, sensing, or feeling, and even what we were wearing when the memory is recalled.

Today I was walking along my porch and up the few steps to my front door and I thought wouldn't it be great if there were works of art behind the screened air vents in the walls near the foundation of my house. There are these perfect little shelves there to display something. For me now, there is some kind of an artistic compulsion to want to have art displayed in unconventional places. If it was everywhere.........perhaps people, especially those, who sometimes resist the necessity of art in the world would be more inclined to embrace it, recall a memory, and find the necessity to have art in the world............if only it was integrated everywhere in their daily lives. No one should have to make an effort to go somewhere to see art displayed............it should just be everywhere in some form.........and in some cases it does appear naturally. No one can argue the respect and appreciation we have for the natural beauty of nature, as it surrounds us.........the same should be said for the beauty of art created. With this in mind..........I am going to make an effort to try and sprinkle art where it is least expected. I suggest we all try to do this too............art for mankind! Random acts of art........left everywhere.......in trees......on a fence post.......sitting on a bus bench, or on top of the vegetables in the grocery store. If everyone created even just one little random work of art and left it somewhere, and even if only one person responded with a new appreciation for the value and necessity of art in the world, that would be success. So, now here's the challenge..........where would you place your random work of art? I am thinking I will begin at home with my air vents.............the screen door is done.

2 comments:

Our Hands For Hope said...

Stop by my blog...I have something for you...
Terisa

Celestial Charms said...

Great idea to embrace and create art all around us. I really like the screen door you created.